More often than not, hiring managers lack the skill to execute a strong candidate interview.
It’s not your fault.
Companies don’t always do a good job with interview training.
When employees get a promotion, there is a learning curve.
As new tasks come up, you dive right in to figure it out. You don’t want to appear incompetent. Asking for help feels like a sign of weakness. So, you proceed and do the best you can.
Fake it until you make it.The problem is, an inability to ask good questions and identify strong talent leads to poor hiring decisions. Not the sign of a good manager! So, let’s change that.You need a list of good interview questions to help you really dig in and learn everything you can about your robotics engineer candidates.
None of this “What’s your greatest weakness” crap. I mean really hard-hitting questions.Not sure where to start? This guide will earn you some respect. Not only will your candidates feel like you asked some great questions, but they will be dying to work with you.
Top 10 Hard-Hitting Questions to Ask Any Robotics (Controls Automation) Engineer Candidate:
1. Tell me about a time when you successfully serviced, repaired, calibrated, or tested a device that operates mainly by electronic principles. And what about mechanical principles.
2. Provide an effective method you have used to train robots to perform tasks. Tell me what happened.
3. Share your experience aligning, fitting, and/or assembling component parts. What methods have you used?
4. Share an experience in which you successfully programmed a complex robotic system.
5. Tell me about a time when you determined the cause of an operating error and solved the problem.
6. Describe an experience in which you installed, programmed, and/or repaired controllers, tools, and/or conveyors.
7. Provide an effective method you have used to test the performance of robotic assemblies.
8. Tell me about your experience fabricating housings, jigs, fittings, and/or fixtures.
9. Share an effective method you have used to evaluate and maximize the efficiency and reliability of industrial robotic systems.
10. Describe an effective 3-dimensional simulation of an automation system which you developed.